Microchip Technology has expanded their 8-bit PIC16F178X enhanced Mid-Range core microcontroller family. The PIC16(L)F1782/3/4/6/7/8/9 MCUs are available now for sampling and volume production in 28-pin SOIC, SPDIP, 6 x 6 mm QFN, and 4 x 4 mm UQFN; as well as 40-pin PDIP, TQFP, 8 x 8 mm QFN, and 5 x 5 mm UQFN packages. Prices start at $1.18 each, in 10,000-unit quantities.
The microcontrollers now include increased Flash memory densities, intelligent analog and digital peripherals, such as on-chip 12-bit Analog-to-Digital Converters (ADCs), 16-bit PWMs, 8-bit and 5-bit Digital-to-Analog Converters (DACs), operational amplifiers, and high-speed comparators with 50ns response time, along with EUSART (including LIN), I2C and SPI interface peripherals.
The PIC16F178X MCU devices are the first PIC MCUs to implement the new Programmable Switch Mode Controller (PSMC), which is an advanced 16-bit Pulse-Width Modulator (PWM) with 64 MHz operation and high-performance capabilities. This combination of features enables higher efficiency and performance, along with cost and space reductions.
The new Microchip microcontrollers also feature eXtreme Low Power (XLP) Technology for active and sleep currents of just 32 µA/MHz and 50 nA, respectively, helping to extend battery life and reduce standby current consumption. Low power consumption in combination with advanced analog and digital integration make the PIC16F178X MCUs ideal for LED and other lighting applications, battery management, digital power supplies, motor control and general-purpose applications.
Microchip PIC16F178X Microcontrollers Features
- Enhanced Mid-Range Core with 49 Instruction, 16 Stack Levels
- Flash Program Memory with self read/write capability
- 256 Bytes of EEPROM
- Internal 32MHz oscillator
- 4 x PSMC (Programmable Switch Mode Controller), Dedicated 16bit PWM, Digital and/or analog feedback control of PWM frequency, Dead-band control / auto-shutdown & restart
- 4 x Fast Comparators with selectable Voltage Reference
- 3 x Operation Amplifiers (rail-to-rail in and out)
- 14 x 12-bit ADC with Voltage Reference
- 8-bit DAC
- 3 x 5-bit DAC
- MI2C / SPI / EUSART w/auto baud
- 3 x Compare-Capture-PWM
- Four 8-bit Timer (TMR0/TMR2/TMR4/TMR6)
- One 16-bit Timer (TMR1)
- Extended Watchdog Timer (EWDT)
- Wide Operating Voltage Range: F Version (2.3V – 5.5V), Low Power LF variant (1.8V – 3.6V)
- 25mA Source/Sink current I/O
- Enhanced Power-On/Off-Reset
- Brown-Out Reset (BOR)
- In Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP)
More info: Microchip PIC16(L)F1788/9 Analog Flash Microcontrollers (pdf)