STMicroelectronics introduced the STGIPS10K60A, STGIPS14K60, STGIPL14K60, and the STGIPS20K60 intelligent power modules for AC motor drive applications. The new IPMs integrate control functions, IGBT switches, and value-added features to enable smaller, more reliable, and lower-cost control units. All devices are available in full production. The STGIPS10K60A is priced at $5.60 in quantities of 25,000 units.
STGIPS10K60A, STGIPS14K60, STGIPL14K60, and STGIPS20K60 Devices
- Three 600V IGBT half bridges with freewheeling diodes
- STMicroelectronics proprietary control ICs and bootstrap diode
- Temperature control and comparators to protect against over-current and short-circuit faults
- Use ST’s Direct-Bond Copper (DBC) packaging
- Efficient heat dissipation to maximize power density
- High electrical isolation for safe operation
- 25-lead or 38-lead molded SDIP packages
- Exposed thermal pad for efficient connection to a heatsink
- Thermal resistance as low as 2.4 degrees C/W
The STGIPL14K60 has internal op-amps that enable designers to eliminate external current-sensing components normally required to control motor speed (Field Oriented Control). The device also has internal dead-time insertion to prevent excessive current damaging the IGBTs, as well as a smart-shutdown function also featured in the STGIPS14K60 and in the STGIPS20K60.
In appliances such as air-conditioners, refrigerators, dryers or washing machines, ST’s Intelligent Power Modules (IPMs) connect directly between the microcontroller and the machine’s motor to control motor speed. The IPMs support advanced features for advanced current sensing and lower energy consumption. The IPM’s internal power switches (IGBTs) and dedicated controllers convert the microcontroller signals into the correct high-power waveform to drive the motor. One module can replace more than 30 discrete components, thereby increasing reliability while reducing size and cost.
More info: STMicroelectronics