Wind River introduced version 6.8 of the VxWorks real-time operating system (RTOS) for embedded systems. VxWorks 6.8 features improvements in multicore support and fundamental operating system features, decreased time-to-market while lowering costs, and improved quality for device manufacturers. VxWorks 6.8 is available now worldwide as part of VxWorks Edition 3.8.
Wind River’s newest version of VxWorks provides product differentiation via increased performance, a smaller footprint and hardware platform flexibility. VxWorks 6.8 also provides choice in multicore architecture allowing engineers to select the right solution for their needs. Improved OS primitives, USB support, and file system performance with VxWorks 6.8 provide designers with increased product quality, more compatibility, and improved product performance.
Wind River VxWorks 6.8 Highlights
- A standards-compliant solution and comprehensive mobile IP support to provide devices with next-generation networking capabilities for 4G and pre-4G including LTE and WiMAX technologies
- Increased multicore processor support for Intel Core i7 processor, ARM MPCore and Cortex A9; Freescale QorIQ P2020; Cavium 54xx, 55xx, 56xx, 57xx, 58xx; and RMI XLR, XLS allowing customers to choose the processor that best fits their needs
- Symmetric Multiprocessing (SMP) performance improvements and SMP core reservation
- Asymmetric Multiprocessing (AMP) enhancements such as AMP spin locks, and a major upgrade to Wind River’s multi-OS inter-process communication with MIPC version 2.0, raising the bar for multicore capabilities with even higher performance thresholds
- New small ARM footprint profile for creating embedded applications with very small memory requirements
- Significant developer tool productivity improvements, including VxWorks core dump file and analysis, and improvements to multicore and multi-OS debugging and user workflows
More info: Wind River VxWorks 6.8