The MX945GSE, from BCM, is an Intel Atom based Mini ITX motherboard. The MX945GSE now supports up to six serial ports (previous version supported only two). The add-on feature benefits applications requiring multiple serial devices. The MX945GSE features the Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz low-power processor, the Mobile Intel 945GSE Express Chipset, 18/24-bit dual channel LVDS output, DDR2 SO-DIMM system memory (up to 2 GB), two RJ45 connectors, Gigabit Ethernet, one PCI, one Mini PCI Express, six USB, two SATA ports, and one VGA output which can be used with LVDS for dual display presentations. The enhanced MX945GSE with six serial ports will be available for purchase in Q1 2010.
BCM MX945GSE Motherboard Features
- Intel Atom BGA N270 Low Power CPU, 1.6 GHz Single Core with HT technology, 533 MHz FSB
- Reduce power consumption
- Intel 945GSE + Intel ICH7M Chipsets
- One SO-DIMM slot up to 2 GB DDR2 system memory
- Intel GMA 950 provides incredible visual quality and faster graphics performance
- Onboard LVDS, VGA, dual display
- ATX Power
- Realtek ALC888 supports 8 CH Audio
- Dual Intel 82574L Gigabit LAN
- 6 USB, 2 SATA, 6 COM, SPDIF, 6W AMP
- Mini ITX Form Factor (6.7″ x 6.7″)
- RoHS Compliant
The new version of the MX945GSE adds four additional serial ports for a total of six to support up to six serial port devices. These devices include Point of Sale (POS) devices, bar code scanners, bill-pay accepters, computer terminals, ticket printers, modems, LED and LCD text displays, GPS receivers, satellite phones and more. Although modern computing systems have gradually replaced serial ports with USB and firewire connections, the serial ports are still commonly used for their stability in applications such as Self-Serve Kiosks, Self-Checkout stations, Point of Sale, industrial automation systems, server computers, and network equipment for diagnostic and console analysis. This is because most of the industrial applications require long life cycles and stable platforms.
More info: BCM MX945GSE Motherboard (pdf)