The Microtune MT3511 RF MicroDigitizer is designed for automotive infotainment systems. The integrated 16-bit analog to digital converter (ADC) digitizes the IF signal and provides a suitable interface for high-end software defined radio architectures. A generic processor (e.g. DSP) can be used to demodulate the supported radio standards. The MT3511 is currently sampling to key customers and is priced at $3.50 in volumes of 100,000/year.
Microtune MT3511 RF MicroDigitizer Features
- Integrated ESD protection
- Compact 8×8 mm 56-pin QFN package with exposed paddle
- Compliant to RoHS and GADSL
- Supports extended temperature range of -40° to +85°C
- Designed for qualification according to AEC-Q100 quality standard
- Very low phase noise
- Fully-autonomous tuning-control engine
- Integrated high-performance 16-bit ADC with self-calibration and digital error correction
- Automatic data synchronization for FM phase-diversity applications
The MT3511 is a key front-end component in the Software Defined Radio (SDR) architecture. Based on Microtune’s next-generation, highly integrated RF MicroDigitizer architecture, the MT3511:
- Is a specialized, automotive-grade RF-to-digital converter optimized to work with generic, high-performance digital signal processors (DSPs) and multimedia processors to enable the SDR solution.
- Combines the functions of a state-of-the-art RF tuner and an advanced analog-to-digital converter in a single miniature chipit receives and tunes a broadcast signal from a car antenna, and then converts the signal from analog to digital format for processing in software by a DSP or multimedia processor.
- Supports world-standard AM/FM, HD Radio technology, digital radio mondiale (DRM), and weather band. It replaces multiple hardware-specific components in today’s radio subsystem with a generic hardware platform that reduces design complexity, time-to-market, time-to-qualification and costs.
The MT3511 is characterized by very high RF-to-bits performance, a high level of integration, low cost and very low profile. With its high sensitivity, high linearity, and configurable, fully autonomous automatic gain control circuit, the MT3511 is engineered to deliver stable, clear digital intermediate frequency (IF) signals. It offers the system designer the flexibility to configure solutions for even the most challenging reception environments, while enabling high-quality radio sound and multimedia within the SDR system.
As a key feature, the MT3511 is optimized to work in the digital domain of the SDR architecture and supports on-board designs with minimal external components. It is engineered to support block-oriented processing, and combined with a patented approach for generating a manageable data rate, it frees the microprocessor to focus on other tasks, including display, connectivity, traffic management and GPS. In effect, the MT3511 enables the microprocessor to manage its resources more effectively and efficiently, a key factor in overall SDR performance.
More info: Microtune