Texas Instruments introduced the eZ430-Chronos customizable development environment within a sports watch. The kit enables developers to easily harness the leading integration, ultra-low power, and wireless capabilities of TI’s CC430 microcontroller (MCU). Chronos is designed to provide engineers with all of the hardware and software needed to immediately begin development of wireless networking applications, regardless of programming expertise. The eZ430-Chronos kit is priced at $49.
The TI eZ430-Chronos includes sensors for measurement and motion-based control. It can serve as a central hub for nearby wireless sensors so that users have remote access to real-time data from devices such as pedometers and heart rate monitors. In addition, Chronos features a USB-RF access point for wireless set-up and PC connectivity, as well as multiple production-ready open source projects to foster easy evaluation, design and community collaboration.
- Wearable form factor allows customers to conveniently develop in remote locations
- TI’s SimpliciTI and BM Innovations’ Blue Robin RF protocols enable developers to easily establish wireless links regardless of RF knowledge, right out of the box
- Available in three different RF frequency bands – 915, 868, and 433 MHz – allowing for worldwide usage
- Integrated 3-axis accelerometer for motion sensitive control as well as sensors for measurement, including altimeter, temperature, pressure, and battery voltage
- Internal CC430 memory available for data storage, holding up to 11 hours of data such as heart rate
- eZ430 USB emulator that connects the Chronos to a PC for real-time, in-system programming and debugging
- USB-RF access point for PC communication and automation, supported by production-ready source projects, including, but not limited to, motion-based mouse control, sensor data logging with wireless PC download, keyboard and presentation control as well as time and calendar sync
- Large 96 segment LCD display driven directly by CC430
- Low cost system includes all supporting hardware and software, increasing accessibility and reducing development cost
- Fully functional sports watch based on the CC430F6137, MSP430 with integrated <1GHz wireless transceiver
- Watch reprogrammable for custom wireless applications
- Can be paired wirelessly with heart rate monitors, pedometers or other devices based RF transceivers like the CC1101 or SoCs such as the CC430 or CC111x
- Includes IAR Kickstart and Code Composer Studio integrated development environments which includes an assembler, linker, simulator, source-level debugger, and code limited C-compiler
More info: Texas Instruments