Freescale Semiconductor introduced the S08MP16 microcontrollers (MCUs) for embedded motor control. The entry-level 8-bit S08MP16 microcontroller (MCU) family provides a safe, accurate, and cost-optimized solution for brushless DC (BLDC) motor control applications ranging from industrial drives to automotive fuel pumps. Industrial- and automotive-qualified samples of the S08MP16 are available now in sample quantities, with production quantities planned for early 2010. Suggested resale pricing starts from $1.10 (USD) for 10,000-unit quantities.
Freescale S08MP16 MCU Features
- S08 CPU
- Industrial version: 25MHz bus speed, 2.7-5.5V, -40°C to +105°C
- Automotive version: 20MHz bus speed, 2.7-5.5V, -40°C to +125°C
- 16 KB flash read/program/erase over full operating voltage and temperature
- 1 KB random access memory
- Three high-speed analog comparators
- 12-bit analog-to-digital converter
- Two FlexTimers (2-channel + 6-channel) providing selectable input capture, output compare, edge- or center-aligned PWM, dead time insertion in hardware and fault inputs
- 8-bit modulo counter
- Differential programmable gain amplifier
- Two programmable delay blocks
- Serial communications interface, serial peripheral interface and inter-integrated circuit
- Cyclic redundancy check engine and watchdog/COP with independent clock option
- Low-power modes and peripheral clock gating for unused modules
- Internal clock source
- Small-footprint 28SOIC, 32LQFP and 48LQFP package options. Automotive (high-temperature) version offered in 48LQFP package
Designers using the S08MP16 benefit from a wide range of on-chip analog peripherals, minimizing the need for external components and helping reduce overall system cost. Peripherals include a programmable gain amplifier (PGA), multiple analog comparators and a 13-channel, 12-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC) with PWM hardware triggering. The PGA enables precise motor control, with high-resolution ADC readings over a wide range of motor loads and speeds. The hardware dead-time insertion capability of the FlexTimer further improves system accuracy and reduces central processing unit loading when compared with software implementations.
Multiple, high-speed analog comparators and a powerful 8-channel FlexTimer pulse width modulation (PWM) module provide protection against over-current conditions by enabling fast and accurate motor shutdown. For household appliances that need to comply with IEC60730 safety standards, an independently clocked watchdog/COP and cyclic redundancy check (CRC) engine deliver clock failure protection and memory content validation.
To help reduce time-to-market, a low-cost demonstration board (DEMO9S08MP16) is available for immediate device evaluation. The board comes with a complimentary version of the CodeWarrior IDE up to 32 KB, with the Processor Expert rapid application tool. Freescale also offers complementary analog devices for motor control system solutions, including the MC33937 3-phase FET pre-driver and MC33880/87 and MC33926/32 H-bridges. The DEMO9S08MP16 demonstration board is available at a suggested resale price of $69 (USD).