Texas Instruments (TI) launched 16 new ultra-low power MSP430 microcontrollers (MCU) targeted at electricity and gas metering applications. The new MSP430F4xx MCUs are highly integrated solutions that can support standalone analog front-end (AFE) needs and achieve leading accuracy results of better than 0.1%. The new F4xx MCUs are priced between $1.80 and $3.90 for 1K units and are available now. In addition, these devices complement the embedded processing portfolio supporting smart metering solutions.
Texas Instruments MSP430 Metering Microcontrollers Features
- Expanded metering portfolio supports a wide range of implementation standards with additions to the F471xx, Fx461x and F44x series of MCUs
- Provides analog front-end needs for a complete metrology solution
- Better than 0.1 percent accuracy for precise energy measurements
- Secure energy monitoring with tamper protection capabilities
- Ultra-low power consumption for extended battery life
- Increased memory for load demand response offers a 25 percent reduction in electricity bills
TI’s utility metering portfolio includes devices targeted at electricity, water, and gas metering, as well as power line communications (PLC) and radio frequency (RF) interfaces for advanced meter infrastructure (AMI) that allow customers to design smart grid solutions. From highly optimized application specific embedded processors, low power RF, power management and RFID to dedicated software support for ZigBee, 6LoWPAN, WMBUS, OFDM and SFSK modulations, Texas Instruments offers the most complete solution set for smart metering.
More info: Texas Instruments Smart Metering Solutions (pdf)