STMicroelectronics launched the MotionBee platform for remote motion control. The MotionBee platform combines motion sensing with ZigBee wireless technology in a single ultra-compact module. MotionBee helps system developers to quickly and cost-effectively build wireless sensor networks for remote motion recognition and tracking in many different application areas. MotionBee platform is ideal for healthcare, security, industrial control, and environmental monitoring. ST’s first MotionBee device, the SPMB250-A1, is available now, with samples priced at $60. An evaluation kit is also available, with two pre-programmed modules and a ZigBee dongle for integration with a PC.
STMicroelectronics MotionBee Platform Features
- Integrated 3-axis digital output linear MEMS accelerometer
- Based on 2.4 GHz IEEE 802.15.4 radio transceiver
- No external components required except for power supply
- Board fixing allowed with screws or pads for SMD soldering
- Standard 2-pole connector for external power supply
- FCC and CE compliant
- Antenna on board
- Possibility to be programmed via SIF connector with EMZNET ZigBeeR protocol stack and custom applications
- Reset and commissioning push buttons externally available
- Two LEDs externally available for connection check and debugging
- Board dimensions: 49 x 27 x 5 mm
The first-generation MotionBee module integrates ST’s 3-axis digital-output MEMS accelerometer with a ZigBee platform from Ember that includes the EM250 System-on-Chip, a 2.4GHz, IEEE 802.15.4-compliant radio transceiver and processor, together with the EmberZNet PRO ZigBee networking software. The module detects accelerations in the selectable range of +/- 2g and +/- 6g and transmits the information to a central connection point (star topology) or every other node (mesh topology) in a ZigBee wireless network. The module is fully programmable and its small size (49 x 27 x 5 mm) makes the deployment easier, such as in wearable medical or sports equipment.
More info: STMicroelectronics SPMB250-A1 MOTIONBEE Acceleration Sensor (pdf)