Texas Instruments launched the TMS320VC5505 eZdsp USB stick development tool. The C5505 eZdsp USB stick drops the cost of a full-featured emulator and integrated development platform down to $49. This enables rapid creation of DSP applications including portable audio players, voice recorders, IP phones, portable medical devices, biometric USB keys, software defined radios (SDRs), hands-free headsets, and metering applications. According to Texas Instruments, the TMS320VC5505 eZdsp USB stick development tool is the industry’s lowest cost DSP tool.
C5505 eZdsp USB Stick Development Tool Highlights
- Based on the C5505 processor, the industry’s lowest power 16-bit DSP with active power consuming less than 0.15 mW/MHz and standby power less than 0.15 mW
- Low price point at $49 eliminates cost concerns or barrier to entry
- Integrated XDS100 emulator provides complete debug capabilities and visibility inside the processor for algorithm optimization and benchmarking
- On-board audio codec and connectors allow developers to evaluate many features of the C5505 processor and quickly optimize complex DSP algorithms in terms of performance and power consumption across a variety of design scenarios
- Extension connector allows developers to design and directly connect to daughter cards suitable for their application
- Unique form factor plugs into any laptop or workstation, conserving test bench space
- Simplifies development tools setup by eliminating power and interface cables
- Includes the complete Code Composer Studio version 4 integrated development environment (IDE) free of charge
- Stereo line in and headphone out connectors making it possible to evaluate many DSP algorithms and listen to them
- Users can easily migrate to TI’s C5505 evaluation module that offers additional extensive evaluation options
- Makes DSP evaluation and development easy and accessible
The C5505 eZdsp USB stick development tool is available now and includes a full XDS100 emulator and a target version of the industry-leading CCStudio v.4. Special incentives are available for educators, university students, and developers actively participating in TI’s online community.
The C5505 eZdsp stick simplifies development by providing integrated features such as an on-board XDS100 emulator and on-board audio codec and connectors. Taking advantage of the energy efficient C5505 DSP, the eZdsp requires no other components or cables allowing the entire development tool to be powered by the USB port. Designers simply plug into the USB port of any laptop or workstation for hassle-free development and a simple out-of-the-box experience.