Renesas Technology America introduced the SuperH SH72546R microcontroller (MCU). The SuperH SH72546R microcontroller features on-chip flash memory capacity of 3.75 MB and high-speed operation at 200 MHz. The SH72546R is built around the SH-2A high-performance CPU core, which has a superscalar that enables it to execute two instructions simultaneously and a Harvard architecture. This enables it to achieve processing performance of 400 MIPS when operating at 200 MHz. The SH72546R is designed for powertrain control applications (automobile engine, transmission, etc). Sample shipments will begin in October 2009 in Japan.
Renesas SH72546R Powertrain Microcontroller Features
- 3.75 MB of on-chip flash memory. This enables storage of large-scale programs for implementing more fine-grained and high-precision control of the engine or transmission.
- Low-power cache system to optimize the use of flash memory. Not only do these technologies minimize increases in power consumption, but they achieve performance essentially equal to single-cycle access at 200 MHz.
- 128 Kbytes of flash memory with functions essentially equivalent to those of EEPROM for data storage. Using this on-chip flash memory can obviate the need for external memory and thus contribute to reduced system costs.
- Processing performance of 400 million instructions per second (MIPS) when operating at 200 MHz. This enables it to achieve sophisticated real-time control involving the more fine-grained and high-speed complex operation processing demanded by engine or transmission control applications.
- Able to withstand high environmental temperatures. Though fabricated using the 90 nm process node to enable large-capacity on-chip flash memory, it supports operation at 200 MHz at temperatures up to 125°C with low power consumption. The SH72546R can therefore be mounted in the high-temperature environment of engine or transmission applications, allowing for a simpler system design.
- Features a multifunction timer (ATU-III: Advanced Timer Unit III), high-speed 12-bit A/D converter, CAN interface, and high-speed serial interface functions. The SH72546R can thus implement high-precision real-time control in a small mounting area.
- The SH72546R’s functions and package are fully compatible with the SH72546RFCC control MCU for program development. Enginners can easily transfer to the new SH72546R systems developed using the SH72546RFCC. This enables a decrease in overall system development time.
- Fully functioning, package, and pin compatible with the SH72544R. This allows system hardware and software design resources developed for the SH72544R to be adapted to the SH72546R quickly and seamlessly.
More information: Renesas Technology