Thanks to new intelligent power management features, products based on u-blox 6 will have dramatically reduced power requirements. u-blox 6 enables significantly extended battery life for power-critical GPS applications. With the extension of the acquisition engine to over 2 million correlators, the new chip exhibits stronger acquisition capability of weak signals and a shorter time to first fix. In addition to GPS, u-blox 6 is future-proofed for the upcoming new European satellite system GALILEO.
u-blox 6 Overview
- u-blox 6 position engine with over 2 million effective correlators featuring <1 s acquisition
- –147 dBm acquisition sensitivity (cold start)
- 5 Hz update rate
- Supports ultra low-power logging and geo-tagging applications based on proprietary Capture & Process technology
- Intelligent, user configurable power management for radically lower power consumption
- Supports u-blox’ AssistNow Online and AssistNow Offline A-GPS services and is OMA SUPL compliant
- GALILEO ready
- Automotive qualified
- Minimal BOM costs
- Available as single-chip, chipset, or complete modules (LEA and NEO familes)
Samples of the GPS receiver UBX-G6010 single-chip and UBX-G6000/G0010 chipset are available by the end of the year for customer evaluation, with the LEA and NEO GPS receiver module families upgraded shortly afterwards. ANTARIS 4 and u-blox 5 family products remain fully supported.
u-blox 6 supports the company’s proprietary “YUMA” GPS software and service, an instantaneous and ultra low power location capture solution based on u-blox’ breakthrough “Capture & Process” technology. Capture & Process is the ideal and lowest power solution for battery-powered applications such as tracking and photo geotagging.
Existing u-blox customers will benefit from the pin-to-pin compatible products. Key application areas for u-blox 6 based products include ultra-low power GPS loggers, asset and fleet management, people and animal trackers, automotive GPS black boxes, personal navigation and recreational devices as well as cameras and camera phones with geotagging capability. u-blox 6 ICs will be available in standard and automotive grade versions.
More information: u-blox 6