Texas Instruments (TI) launched the MSP430F55xx microcontroller (MCU) family with embedded full-speed USB (12 Mbps). The F55xx MCU family offers ultra-low power consumption combined with high-performance analog and other smart integrated peripherals. The MSP430F55xx microcontrollers are ideal for cost-sensitive applications — including portable measurement for medical, industrial, health and fitness, and consumer electronics. The TI F55xx MCUs are priced from sub-$1 in large volumes. The MSP430F552x MCUs are sampling now with production volumes as early as November 2009.
TI MSP430F55xx Microcontrollers Highlights
- Five low-power modes include the industry’s lowest power consumption in active mode at 200 uA/MHz and standby mode at 2.5 uA with wake-up from standby mode in less than 5 microseconds for extended battery life
- Expanded memory range covering 8KB to 128KB flash offers easy migration path
- High performance analog including 10-bit or 12-bit ADC options that consume less than 200uA during operation, and an ultra-low power sub-microamp comparator designed for wide application usage
- Integrated intelligent peripherals including hardware multiplier, four 16-bit timers, and up to four interfaces of serial communication including UART, SPI, and I2C
- Various package options with small footprint, including 48-pin (QFP, QFN), 64-pin (QFN), 80-pin (QFP, BGA)
- Fully integrated LDO powered directly from the 5V bus power saves cost and board space
- Broad USB portfolio with more than 35 device options offers enhanced peripheral and analog integration, increased memory and package options, and several low-cost alternatives from the sub-$1 range
All are instruction set compatible with the entire MSP430 platform. The MSP430F552x sample kit is available now and includes two 80-pin QFN sample devices, TS430PN80USB target board and supporting documents and software to get started. This device is fully compatible with the $149 MSP-FET430U80USB and $99 MSP-FET430UIF flash emulation tools.
More information: Texas Instruments MSP430F5524 Microcontroller