Texas Instruments created the first medical development kit (MDK) with a complete signal chain and software offering for multiple medical diagnostic and patient monitoring applications. The three medical development tool kits are based on TI’s TMS320VC5505 digital signal processor (DSP). The MDKs are ideal for the development of these portable medical devices like electrocardiograms (ECG), digital stethoscopes, and pulse oximeter products.
The medical development kits include both hardware and software design tools — such as schematics, sample application code, medical-specific algorithms, and collateral. The MDKs can ease the design process and decreases development time by up to eight months. The kits are also extremely flexible with the ability to mix-and-match AFEs with multiple processor platforms for maximum software reuse and return on investment. In addition, the low power technology offered by the C5505 enables diagnostics functionality for portable medical devices, making them smarter and more energy efficient.
Electrocardiogram MDK Highlights
- Front-end module with full set of analog circuitry, including the ADS1258 16-channel, 24-bit, low power analog-to-digital converter (ADC), for ECG applications, including defibrillator protection and 4KV isolation
- 12 lead ECG outputs using 10 electrode inputs, improving diagnostic interpretations
- Includes a C5505 DSP EVM for extensive signal processing and medical algorithm implementation, including flexible/configurable filtering, 12 lead computation, QRS detection, leads off detection and real-time ECG waveform and heartbeat rate display on LCD and an external PC
Digital Stethoscope MDK Highlights
- Front-end module with all AFE circuitry, including the TLV320AIC3254 low power and low-voltage stereo audio codec, for digital stethoscope applications
- Three-channel input option, two condenser and one contact mics i/ps with headphone output option
- Three selectable modes for stethoscope operation, allowing the user to hear and focus on sounds of different frequency ranges in order to improve diagnostic accuracy:
- Bell mode (20Hz to 220Hz)
- Diaphragm mode (50Hz to 600Hz)
- Extended range (20Hz to 2000Hz)
- Includes a C5505 DSP EVM for extensive signal processing and volume control, audio storage/playback and real-time acoustic waveform and heartbeat rate display on an LCD and an external PC
Pulse Oximeter MDK Highlights
- Front-end module with all AFE circuitry, including the DAC7573 digital-to-analog converter and ADS8328 (ADC), for pulse oximetry applications includes common signal conditioning path for red and infrared signals
- Includes a C5505 DSP EVM that performs extensive signal processing, oxygen level percentage calculation ranging from 0 to 100 percent, pulse rate display, sensor off detection and real-time plethysmogram display on an LCD and an external PC
Medical Development Kit Pricing
- The electrocardiogram analog front-end module is available and priced at USD $449.00
- The digital stethoscope analog front-end module is available and is priced at USD $375.00
- The pulse oximeter analog front-end module is available and priced at USD $395.00
- The TMS320VC5505 DSP EVM is available and priced at USD $395.00
A complete kit includes one of the front-end modules plus the C5505 EVM. Free access to implementation sample code based on the C5505 platform, plus MDK PC application software and hardware design information, is available with the purchase of any module.
More information: Texas Instruments Medical Solutions