The Marvell PXA168 applications processor delivers the processing capabilities of an entry-level laptop to instant-on, digital consumer devices at consumer price points with ultra-low power for longer battery life. The PXA168 enables full-featured web surfing, Internet widgets, multi-format video, Adobe Flash-based content playback, image processing, video conferencing, and advanced graphical user interfaces (GUIs). The Marvell PXA168 applications processor is sampling now, and Marvell (Nasdaq: MRVL) is providing complete hardware/software reference platforms to top-tier digital consumer OEMs. Marvell is also working with third-party software and application developers to port their applications to the PXA168 platform.
Marvell PXA168 Highlights
- Faster CPU speeds and more efficient MIPS/MHz than competition brings richer features to mainstream tiers while retaining full ARM v5TE compatibility
- L1 and L2 caches and fast DDR2 speeds provide memory bandwidth for video and graphics
- Targeting support for up to MPEG-4 720p 30 fps, H.264 D1 30 fps
- Clock-gating and low SoC voltages support efficient MIPS/mW to reduce power consumption and extend battery life
- Highly integrated SoC helps enable low BOM and save PCB space, helping device manufacturers to improve margins
- Support for DDR2 allows OEMs to take advantage of commodity memory pricing vs. mobile SDRAM/DDR
- Integrated HW components enable high-quality still-image and video on high resolution displays
- WMMX2 accelerates multimedia without external chip
- Graphics accelerator enhances GUI effects for differentiation
- Support for videoconferencing and for content from cameras and personal media players
- Qdeo ICR enhances color to make vivid images without hue shifts or clipping while preserving skin-tones
- Part of the award-winning Qdeo suite of video processing
The PXA168 applications processor features Marvell Sheeva technology and is scalable beyond 1GHz to enable converged consumer devices. The Marvell PXA168 is ideal for connected digital photo frames, portable navigation devices, portable media players, automotive dashboard displays and infotainment systems, home automation, portable TVs, digital signage, and other devices that utilize Internet connectivity, media processing and touch screen interfaces.
The Marvell PXA168 supports high-definition video with hardware graphics acceleration on screens up to widescreen ultra extended graphics array resolution. The PXA168 also includes Marvell’s Qdeo Color Intelligent Color Remapping technology to bring vivid color to displays without hue shifts or clipping while preserving skin tones. Northbridge and southbridge interfaces are integrated for cutting-edge consumer devices, including a 5-in-1 memory card reader, multi-level cell NAND, CE-ATA, DDR2 memory, USB, PCI-e and Ethernet interfaces.
More info: Marvell PXA168 Applications Processor (pdf)