Sigma Designs (Nasdaq:SIGM) introduced the SMP8642 media processor for mainstream Blu-ray players. Sigma’s SMP8642 media processor integrates advanced capabilities for a system-on-chip (SoC) solution with powerful multimedia processing, robust content security system, multiple on-chip CPUs, and a range of on-chip system peripherals. Its combination of on-chip processors yield an increase in overall performance. The SMP8642 silicon features Sigma’s multimedia library, secure operating system, OS support environment, and Blu-ray software suite with Profile 2.0 (BD-live). As a result, the SMP8642 is ideal for mainstream Blu-ray players while remaining software compatible with the SMP8644 to enable OEMs to easily design a family of different price/performance offerings. Samples of the SMP8642 are available now with production available in February.
Sigma Designs 8642 Blu-ray Player Reference Design
- Turn-key solution for a Bonus View or BD-Live Blu-ray player
- Industry-standard MIPS CPU and Linux OS enables 3rd party software solutions to be easily added for product feature differentiation
- Video outputs include NTSC/PAL composite and S-video, YPbPr and HDMI
- Audio outputs include 7.1-ch analog audio, optical and coaxial SPDIF
- USB, 10/100 Ethernet and SD Card
- MII via Mini PCI connector (for optional 3rd party 802.11 or UWB card)
- SATA connectors for Blu-ray drive and optional HDD
- Supports wide variety of Blu-ray drives
- Includes PC board, SDK, development tools, schematics, bill of materials, Gerber files and documentation
The SMP8642 features a full complement of advanced decoder engines with high definition video decoding, including H.264 (MPEG-4 part 10), Windows Media Video 9, VC-1, MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 (part 2), and the new AVS standard. High-performance graphics acceleration, multi-standard audio decoding with 3 on-chip DSP engines which can decode all audio standards including DTS-HD MA 7.1, advanced display 12-bit xvYCC processing capabilities, and HDMI 1.3 12-bit deep color output with CEC round out its multimedia core. Powerful content security is ensured through a dedicated secure processor, on-chip flash memory, and a range of digital rights management (DRM) engines for high-speed payload decryption. The SMP8642 offers a full complement of system peripherals — including a dual Ethernet controller, dual USB 2.0 controller, NAND flash controller, IR controller, a dual SATA controller, and SD Card interface.
The second MIPS processor, called the IPU, manages real-time interrupt operations and is available to offload burdensome system tasks such as networking, and graphics to further optimize main CPU utilization. A third MIPS processor, called the XPU, manages all system security functions including decryption and key generation. The SMP8642 also features two 32-bit DDR-2 memory controllers which supports double-data-rate memories up to 667 Mbps as well as an improved arbitration engine to maximize the efficiency of accesses. To meet the new low-power requirements for consumer products, the SMP8642 features several standby modes, including full sleep and wake-on-LAN.
More info: Sigma Designs SMP8642 (pdf)