The Wavecom Group (Paris:AVM) (NASDAQ:WVCM) recently introduced the WMP120 Wireless Microprocessor, which is the first ATEX-approved GSM/GPRS solution for wireless machine-to-machine communication. The WMP120 will reduce time to market for developers and integrators of smart metering solutions and other devices operating in potentially explosive environments. ATEX (ATmosphere EXplosive) is the European Directive for certifying products for use in environments where there may be a risk of explosions from exposure to volatile chemicals, liquids or gases. The WMP120 is certified for ATEX equipment category 1 and 3, which allows its use in zone 0, 1 and 2.
Wavecom WMP120 Features
- Core processor: ARM9, 32 bit, 104 MHz running Open AT RTOS as standard
- Memory: External, supports up to 128MB Flash, 128MB PSRAM
- Digital Control: Up to 44 GPIO, 4 INT, I2C, 2 SPI, 5 x 5 keyboard, memory bus
- Digital Comms: 2 UART, USB 2.0, parallel port
- Analogue Interfaces: 4 ADC, DAC
- Audio Interfaces: 2 analogue channels, PCM
- Cellular Radio: Global operation (quad band 800/900/1800/1900 MHz)
- Cellular Data: GSM standard SMS, Fax, CSD (circuit), GPRS cl 10 (packet)
- Cellular Voice: Quad codec (FR/HR/EFR/AMR)
- Package: BGA576, 25x25x3 mm, 0.5Ø balls at 1 mm pitch
The WMP120 offers advantages in terms of scalability and system cost. The same GSM/GPRS platform can be used for both gas meters and metering gateways, with a common software architecture. On the meter, a WMP120 can simply be added to an existing sensor part and used as a GSM/GPRS data logger. On the gateway, a 100% software and hardware compatible WMP100 can manage network technologies such as ZigBee, proprietary RF or PLC in addition to the GSM/GPRS communication.
The WMP120 can speed the certification process for the final product: The main component of a GSM/GPRS-enabled meter is already ATEX certified in its typical environment, and there is no need for an in-depth ATEX design analysis of the GSM/GPRS part. In addition, existing smart meter designs can be adapted for use in potentially explosive atmospheres without major changes.
WMP120 provides ATEX certification in addition to all of the benefits of the current high running WMP100 Wireless Microprocessor. It can operate as a smart modem, as a shared processor with a host CPU, or as a standalone CPU natively executing the customer application. It supports three programming models: host AT commands, standard C executable and Lua scripting. It also supports the Open AT real-time operating system and the full range of Open AT Plug-Ins including Internet, Security and GPS in addition to the IDS (Intelligent Device Services) scalable platform for securely delivering upgrades and diagnostics over-the-air.
More info: WMP120 ATEX Certified Wireless Processor