Cypress Semiconductor Corp. (NYSE:CY) recently announced the first device to integrate a non-volatile static random access memory (nvSRAM) and a programmable system on chip. The PSoC® NV family combines the flexible design capabilities of Cypress’s PSoC architecture with an infinite endurance nvSRAM in a single package. PSoC NV devices integrate configurable analog and digital circuits, controlled by an on-chip microcontroller, providing both enhanced design revision capability and component count savings. The secure-store data logging devices target the computing, networking, telecomm, automotive and industrial markets.
The PSoC NV family is ideal for applications requiring continuous data logging from sensors, analog, and digital inputs. The devices have a powerful analog front-end that can simultaneously sample up to 8 inputs from sensors and analog sources and store the data in the embedded nvSRAM. Regular operation accesses are directed to an SRAM array and automatically secured into a non-volatile quantum trap cell in case of power failure. This data can be recalled on power up. The data logging capabilities of the PSoC NV family enables field diagnostics and failure mode analysis, helping customers identify problems quickly and reducing system downtime. The devices have a 20-year data retention capability and can perform a host of applications such as voltage monitoring, voltage sequencing, thermal management, on-board diagnostics, power management, fan control, industrial data logging, and sequence-of-events monitoring.
PSoC NV Features
- Powerful Harvard Architecture Processor
- A 64-, 128- or 256-Kbyte nvSRAM with a throughput of up to 100 Kbps
- An M8C-based core with speeds up to 24 MHz
- 32 Kbytes Flash and 2 Kbytes SRAM
- 12 analog blocks that can be programmed to create an ADC, DAC and comparator
- 8 analog channels with a channel sampling rate of 820 samples/sec
- 16 digital blocks that can be programmed to create timers, counters, PWM, UART and SPI
- Programmable GPIOs
- An I2C interface
- Watchdog and sleep timers
- On-chip precision voltage reference
- 3.3V operation over the industrial temperature range (-40°C to +85°C)
More info: Cypress PSoC NV