The MPC5123 mobileGT processor, from Freescale Semiconductor, is a highly integrated dual-core system-on-chip (SoC) device. The MPC5123 device is designed to simplify embedded Linux® OS-based product development and reduce power requirements and system cost for industrial and consumer applications. Samples of the MPC5123 processor are planned to be available in late third quarter 2008. Suggested resale pricing for the MPC5123 in 10,000-unit quantities starts at $20.00 (USD). Development kits bundled with the MPC5123 processor are planned to be available for a suggested resale price of $199 (USD).
The MPC5123, combines a Power Architecture e300 core scaling to 400 MHz with an advanced multimedia co-processor to deliver exceptional processor performance. Manufactured on Freescale’s advanced 90-nanometer low-power CMOS technology, the MPC5123 device is designed for cost-sensitive applications that require high performance, multimedia capabilities and versatile connectivity options.
- e300 core
- Built on Power Architecture technology
- 32KB instruction cache and 32KB data cache
- Double-precision floating point unit and dual integer units
- Up to 400 MHz performance, delivering 800 MIPS
- User-programmable 32-bit RISC multimedia core operating at up to 200 MHz
- Integrated display controller supporting up to 720p (1280×720) and WXGA (1366×768) resolution
- 12 programmable serial controllers supporting UART, SPI, AC97, I2S
- SDRAM DDR-I/DDR-II/mobileDDR memory controller
- 10/100 Fast Ethernet media access controller (MAC)
- Three I2Cs
- PCI 2.3 interface
- Dual USB 2.0 On-the-Go (OTG) controller with an integrated high-speed PHY
- Serial advanced technology attachment (SATA) controller
- Parallel advanced technology attachment (PATA) controller
- Four CAN 2.0A/B modules
- 64-channel intelligent DMA I/O controller
- Sony/Phillips digital interface format (S/PDIF) serial audio interface
- Secure digital host controller (SDHC) supporting MMC/SD/SDIO protocols
- 27×27 mm – 1 mm pitch 516-pin PBGA package
The MPC5123 processor’s high level of integration helps reduce system design costs and enhances flexibility for a variety of general embedded applications. The device’s broad set of on-chip peripherals includes 10/100 Ethernet, PCI, SATA, PATA, two USB 2.0 On-The-Go (OTG) modules with an integrated high speed PHY, four CAN modules and 12 programmable serial controllers. An on-chip integrated display controller also provides cost-effective support for liquid crystal display/thin film transistor (LCD/TFT) displays. The device’s 128Kbyte of on-chip SRAM and numerous embedded memory buffers help ensure balanced system performance and system bus throughput while reducing latency demands.
The MPC5123 processor is bundled with an affordable Linux® OS-based starter kit that’s designed to help developers reduce the cost and complexity of their applications. Target applications for the MPC5123 device include factory automation systems, display kiosks, instrumentation, point-of-sale (POS) systems, power metering, medical monitoring and other industrial and scientific applications. In addition, the MPC5123 provides an ideal solution for next-generation automotive telematics and navigation systems.
More info: Freescale Semiconductor