Renesas’ Sub-Atomic Particle Board (SPB) demonstration platforms for the M16C, R8C and H8 microcontrollers (MCU) are designed to ease and accelerate the assessment of the on-chip peripheral functions and system development tools of MCUs. The capabilities of the SPB demonstration platforms will change the way engineers interact with an evaluation of MCUs and tools. Traditional evaluation boards often require engineers to spend a tremendous amount of time learning and understanding complex software and then fine-tuning its interaction with the hardware. By contrast, the new platforms save time and money, simplifying this process by providing a fully working combination of software and hardware, supplemented by interactive tutorials that quickly and easily guide users through necessary setup procedures and learning scenarios.
The interactive tutorials included in the kit provide information that helps users verify the installed hardware and software, then give them hands-on instructions for creating, building, debugging and downloading their first project. Additionally, the tutorials illustrate how to use the support tools from Renesas and third-party suppliers that are part of the platforms, as well as how to make MCU performance measurements and evaluate on-chip MCU peripheral functions.
Price and Availability
|Product Name||Part Number||MCU Family||Package||Unit Price / Availability|
|M16C demonstration platform||YM16CSPB||M16C, 20MHz||Clamshell (clear plastic)||$79.00 / Q2 2008|
|R8C demonstration platform||YR8CSPB||R8C, 20MHz|
|H8 demonstration platform||YH8SPB||H8/300H, 10MHz|
- Interactive tutorials that make it easy to learn the basic capabilities and benefits of Renesas software development tools
- The complete Renesas High-performance Embedded Workshop (HEW) integrated development environment (IDE) that includes project management functions and much more
- The HEW Target Server (HTS) software application, a COM object for Windows® that can control the HEW IDE and provides an external stimulus for performing tests on code even before the final hardware is available
- An on-chip debugger that is integrated onto the platform’s target board
- A proven hardware design with a 1-Megabyte SPI flash memory, an audio jack, a 2.5-mm sound jack, pushbutton, light sensor, four LEDs, and an external header
- A choice of three boards for meeting different performance and cost requirements: the M16C Series, the R8C Series, and the H8/300H Series
The third-party support tools supported by the demonstration platforms include products from IAR Systems, Segger, and KPIT Cummins Infosystems. IAR Systems provides a range of development tools for embedded systems including IDEs with C/C++ compilers and debuggers, development kits, hardware debug probes and state-machine design tools. Segger offers software products that include a real-time operating system (embOS), a TCP/IP stack (embOS/IP), an LCD driver and GUI package (emWin), an embedded File System (emFile), and a USB stack (emUSB). KPIT Cummins Infosystems delivers a complete set of free Renesas GNU tools.
More information: Renesas Technology