Wind River Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:WIND) and Cavium Networks (NASDAQ:CAVM) recently announced the Wind River Workbench, On-Chip Debugging solution for OCTEON. The multicore device development solution couples Wind River’s Workbench On-Chip Debugging and Wind River Compiler with Cavium Networks OCTEON multicore processors, resulting in a simplified development environment encompassing a complete development ecosystem, on-chip debugging tools, compilers, support and knowledge. In addition, hardware and software developers will benefit from improved productivity and user experience when developing on cutting-edge multicore offerings, enabling customers to get higher-quality products working and delivered in less time and with fewer errors. The Wind River Workbench, On-Chip Debugging solution for OCTEON is available today under Wind River’s Enterprise and Perpetual Licensing Business Models.
Multicore technology delivers significant advantages to device developers by providing higher processor performance, more effective power usage and a smaller physical footprint for embedded devices. However, multicore technology also requires new tools and a new approach to development that enables hardware and software developers to debug multiple cores simultaneously, while optimizing the development process through the use of integrated tools. Features and capabilities of Wind River Workbench On-Chip Debugging and the Wind River Compiler are specifically targeted for sophisticated multicore silicon like Cavium Networks 16-core OCTEON multicore MIPS64® processors.
Wind River Workbench for OCTEON Benefits
- Quickly bring up the Cavium Networks OCTEON hardware and debug interactions between the hardware and software running across multiple cores
- Develop application software, including multi-threaded applications, in a seamless manner
- Accurately synchronize start and stop of multiple cores in order to determine problem areas
- Utilize On-Chip Debugging’s unique System Mode debugging capabilities to view software activities on all cores at a given point in time in order to analyze the interaction of software running on multiple cores
- Maximize JTAG bandwidth for multicore debug with Wind River’s JTAG accelerator technology to help speed the development and analysis processes
- Benefit from a scalable solution supporting debugging on scan chains with up to 128 cores
- Streamline development across multiple homogeneous and heterogeneous cores, including those with different instruction sets
- Use Wind River Compiler to generate optimized application code for OCTEON