TAEC’s new family of ultra-compact camera modules feature Dynastron image sensor technology. The family include the TCM9200MD, TCM9100MD and the TCM9000MD. The camera modules were developed using Toshiba’s chip scale camera module (CSCM) manufacturing technology and are the first to use through chip via (TCV) technology. CSCM allows the mounting and assembly of camera module components in the semiconductor wafer during the module’s manufacture. This delivers an approximate 64% reduction in module size in comparison to other modules using the same sensor, a significant benefit for camera phones and laptop computers with challenging design footprint requirements.
In addition to allowing camera module components to be integrated in the wafer, Toshiba’s TCV technology uses a chip structure with built-in pass through electrodes and solder balls on the rear of the wafer. As a result, the CSCM camera modules have tighter pixel pitch leads and require no wire bonding space, yielding a smaller overall module size.
- TCM9200MD: 2 megapixel (UXGA)
- TCM9100MD: 1.3 megapixel (SXGA)
- TCM9000MD: 0.3 megapixel (VGA)
- Module size (all sizes provisional):
- TCM9200MD: 6.3mm (L) x 6.4mm (W) x 4.6mm (H)
- TCM9100MD: 5.8mm (L) x 6.0mm (W) x 4.2mm (H)
- TCM9000MD: 4.0mm (L) x 4.0mm (W) x 2.5mm (H)
- Frame rates:
- TCM9200MD: 15 frames/sec (UXGA output), 30 frames/sec (VGA output)
- TCM9100MD: 15 frames/sec (SXGA output), 30 frames/sec (VGA output)
- TCM9000MD: 30 frames/sec (VGA out put only)
- YUV422/RGB565/RGB444/RAW output signal
- Auto white balance, auto luminance control and blemish correction
- 8-bit parallel output format
- I2C interface
Mass production for the TCM9200MD, TCM9100MD and TCM9000MD camera modules is planned for January, February and June 2008 respectively. The evaluation price in 1,000 unit quantities for the TCM9200MD is $50 each, $40 each for the TCM9100MD and $30 each for the TCM9000MD.
Toshiba America Electronic Components (TAEC)