Microchip’s PIC16F882 microcontrollers provide design engineers with the option to migrate to a lower-cost family member, as their code development stabilizes. In turn, all five members of the PIC16F88X family maintain compatibility with other 28/40-pin PIC(R) Microcontrollers for easy migration, while providing a host of new features designed to save users time and money—both during and after their design cycle. PIC16F882 enhancements include dual internal oscillators with clock switching and fail-safe clock mode; more (up to 14) ADC channels; an advanced comparator module featuring two comparators and a Set/Reset Latch to allow emulation of many analog circuits; and low-power enhancements that extend battery life.
Additional key features of the PIC16F882 microcontroller include:
- 3.5 Kbytes of Self-write Program Flash memory and low-voltage programming to enable field programmability
- 128 bytes of Data EEPROM for variable data storage
- Onboard In-Circuit Debug module for simpler system troubleshooting
- Advanced Analog Peripherals
- Enhanced analog comparator module, featuring 2 comparators with Set/Reset Latch mode
- 11 10-bit ADC channels
- 0.6V reference voltage for comparators and ADC
- Low-Power Features
- Ultra Low-Power Wake Up
- Enhanced Low-Current Watchdog Timer
- Low-Power Timer 1 Oscillator
- Serial Communication Interfaces
- UART/SCI connectivity via EUSART module
- Master Mode SPI and I2C(TM) with Address Mask option
- More General Purpose I/O, with up to 36 pins that can be used for I/O, and Interrupt-on-change capability for each I/O pin
- Available in industrial and automotive temperature versions
The five-member PIC16F88X family is supported by the full suite of Microchip’s development tools, including the PICkit(TM) 2 Development Programmer (PG164120), $34.99, the free MPLAB(R) IDE integrated development environment and the low-cost MPLAB ICD 2 in-circuit debugger. Additionally, a processor module for the MPLAB ICE 2000 emulator is expected to be available in March, which would complete Microchip’s tool-chain support for the PIC16F88X family.
Pricing for this five-member family starts at $1.27 each in 10,000 unit quantities. The PIC16F882, PIC16F883 and PIC16F886 come in 28-pin PDIP, SOIC, SSOP and QFN packages, while the PIC16F884 and PIC16F887 are available in 40-pin PDIP, and 44-pin QFN and TQFP package options.
More info: Microchip PIC18F88X Microcontrollers