The Microchip Technology PIC16F88X family consists of four 28- and 40/44-pin PIC(R) microcontrollers for use in a wide range of applications. The PIC16F88X family maintains compatibility with the PIC16F87XA family for easy migration, while providing a host of new features designed to save users time and money—both during and after their design cycle.
The enhancements include dual internal oscillators with clock switching and fail-safe clock mode; more (up to 14) ADC channels; an advanced comparator module featuring two comparators and a Set/Reset Latch to allow emulation of many analog circuits; and low-power enhancements that extend battery life.
Embedded system designers’ marketplaces are constantly changing. Quite often, functions and features are added to a customer’s product in the middle of the design cycle, as new requirements emerge. Therefore, system designs must be fluid and easily adaptable in order to evolve with the changing landscape. These dynamics require a high degree of flexibility from the chosen microcontroller architecture. Microchip’s PIC16F88X family is complemented by a vast portfolio of pin- and code-compatible PIC microcontrollers that enable customers to quickly move to the right part for their chosen application, without having to write all new code.
Microchip’s broad portfolio of low pin count 8-bit PIC microcontrollers targets a wide range of general-purpose, horizontal applications, and the PIC16F88X family is no exception. Specific application examples include battery-operated systems and battery management, space-constrained and small form factor applications, analog-intensive applications (due to the rich on-chip analog peripheral set), and mechatronics.
Features of the PIC16F88X microcontroller family include:
- Up to 14 Kbytes of Self-write Program Flash and low-voltage programming to enable field programmability
- Up to 256 bytes of Data EEPROM for variable data storage
- Onboard In-Circuit Debug module for simpler system troubleshooting
- Advanced Analog Peripherals
- Enhanced analog comparator module, featuring 2 comparators with Set/Reset Latch mode
- Up to 14 10-bit ADC channels
- 0.6V reference voltage for comparators and ADC
- Low Power Features
- Ultra Low-Power Wake Up
- Enhanced Low-Current Watchdog Timer
- Low-Power Timer 1 Oscillator
- Extended Watchdog Timer with low current draw
- Serial Communication Interfaces
- UART/SCI connectivity via EUSART module
- Master Mode SPI and I2C(TM) with Address Mask option
- Master Synchronous Serial Port (MSSP) with slave address mask
- Enhanced USART (EUSART)
- More General Purpose I/O, with up to 36 pins that can be used for I/O, and Interrupt-on-change capability for each I/O pin