Windows Mobile for Automotive is a powerful, flexible, and scalable solution that helps the auto industry deliver integrated in-car communication, entertainment, and information systems faster, easier, and at lower cost. Windows Mobile for Automotive gives OEMS and suppliers a complete hardware reference design and software platform with these key advantages:
- Faster time-to-market. Manufacturers can move quickly to market with a standards-based, ready-to-install electronics gateway that gives consumers hands-free digital access to cell phones, music, and information from their cars.
- Lower costs. OEMs are freed from the need to develop proprietary software, with its associated high development costs. This entry-level solution is based on a familiar Microsoft programming model and supports industry standards for reliability, power consumption, and temperature.
- Easy lifecycle enhancement. Windows Mobile for Automotive software is easily upgradable. It can be refreshed to support new devices, applications, and industry standards, keeping the in-car device on pace with advances in technology and changes in consumer preferences, year after year. The upgrades can be quickly and securely deployed using the wireless connection or the USB port.
- Flexible implementation. Available in two versions and easily customized, Windows Mobile for Automotive is the right solution to fulfill growing consumer digital demands, whether providing features for luxury vehicles or economy cars.
- Reliable, proven, and respected platform. In 2006, Frost & Sullivan awarded its 2006 Excellence in Technology Award to Windows Mobile for Automotive. Windows Mobile technology provides solutions for smartphones and other devices, including Pocket PCs, USB memory cards, Windows Media audio, and MP3 players. Support for more devices is planned for the future so OEMs can stay current.
- Improved customer satisfaction. Consumers want more in their vehicles—from voice-controlled cell phones and GPS navigation/mapping to rich multimedia audio and graphics, and real-time access to traffic and weather reports. With support for Bluetooth, universal plug-and-play, USB, EVDO, and WiFi, Windows Mobile for Automotive provides seamless integration with in-vehicle and external systems to satisfy the most demanding customers.
There are two versions of the Windows Mobile for Automotive software platform. Each version offers different levels of functionality to meet specific automaker needs.
- Basic – This version includes Bluetooth connectivity for hands-free cell phone use and a USB port for digital music playback.
- Standard – This version incorporates the Bluetooth connectivity and USB port and also features GPS and a built-in GSM phone to connect to services such as real-time traffic, navigation, and remote diagnostics. It includes safety and security features, and much more.
Windows Mobile for Automotive 1.0 Software Features
- All underlying drivers for hardware
- Windows Mobile for Automotive middleware and application framework
- Device management tools for over-the-air updates
- Bluetooth hands-free phone profile
- USB port for digital music and device programming at dealerships
- Power management system
- Server connectivity support
- Speech software for managed voice-command features available in nine languages
- 32 bit 300 MHz ARM processor
- Field programming gate array (FPGA)
- 32 MB flash memory
- Cell phone module (standard version only)
- GPS receiver (standard version only)
- CAN bus interface
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Microphone for voice interaction with system