Since 1980, manufacturers have relied on QNX OS technology to power their mission-critical applications — everything from medical instruments and Internet routers to telematics devices, 9-1-1 call centers, process control applications, and air traffic control systems. Small or large, simple or distributed, these systems share an unmatched reputation for operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, nonstop. Time-tested and field-proven, the QNX® Neutrino® realtime operating system (RTOS) sets the industry standard for reliability, fault tolerance, and scalability.
What makes QNX Neutrino so remarkable? It’s a true microkernel operating system. Under QNX Neutrino, every driver, application, protocol stack, and file system runs outside the kernel, in the safety of memory-protected user space. As a result, virtually any component can fail — and be automatically restarted — without affecting other components or the kernel. No other commercial RTOS provides such protection.
Features and Benefits
Using QNX Neutrino as your foundation, you can:
- design highly reliable systems that can be dynamically upgraded in the field to extend life-cycle and functionality
- build self-healing systems that can recover intelligently from faults and increase service availability
- scale large or small using only the components you need, or, take advantage of built-in symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) to harness the power of dual-core processors
- simplify the design of fault-tolerant clusters and add compute power simply by plugging another CPU into the network, with transparent distributed processing
- optimize performance through fast and predictable realtime response
- maximize application portability with extensive support for the POSIX standard, which lets you quickly migrate Linux, Unix, and other open source programs
- enhance your system with a sophisticated graphical user interface that supports advanced web browsing, multi-layering, and 3D
- make the most of your processor’s physical addressing capabilities through extended memory support that goes beyond 4G. Available for PowerPC, MIPS, and x86
- target the best hardware platform for your system and get up and running quickly with runtime support and BSPs for popular chipsets, including MIPS, PowerPC, SH-4, ARM, StrongArm, Intel® XScaleTM Microarchitecture, and x86