MagicDraw is a visual UML modeling and CASE tool with teamwork support. Designed for Business Analysts, Software Analysts, Programmers, QA Engineers, and Documentation Writers, this dynamic and versatile development tool facilitates analysis and design of Object Oriented (OO) systems and databases. It provides the industry’s best code engineering mechanism (with full round-trip support for J2EE, C#, C++, CORBA IDL programming languages, .NET, XML Schema, WSDL), as well as database schema modeling, DDL generation and reverse engineering facilities.
In short, MagicDraw is:
- A handy UML editor. A friendly and customizable GUI let you express your ideas in UML as quickly and straightforwardly as possible. The entire UML 1.4 notation and semantics are supported.
- A powerful code engineering tool. You can construct UML model, generate source code from it, write more code by hand or in your favorite IDE, then reverse the code, make some changes in the MagicDraw, and merge your model with the code again. No details are lost, no matter which way (backward or forward) you go. Support for J2EE, C#, C++, .NET, CORBA IDL, DDL, XML Schema, WSDL.
- A UML model reporting facility. Based on the XSL files, you can generate custom HTML reports for each model element. MagicDraw allows you to select what parts of the model to include and how the report should look.
- An OO model analysis tool. MagicDraw generates package dependency diagrams, recover and display inheritance trees, or track any other kind of relation as a method parameter or a return value, such as dependencies, associations, realizations, and class usage.
- A custom OO model generator. Predefined set of design patterns including GoF, Java, JUnit, XML Schema, WSDL, CORBA IDL design pattern. All patterns can be extended and new pattern can be created using Java or JPython.
- Team modeling tool. More than one developer can work with the same OO model. The UML model is stored in the Teamwork Server repository. Every single developer can lock a part of the model and work on that part individually. Later the changes can be committed to the server and shared with the team. The server works much like a source code version control system.
- Database modelling tool. You can design database schema in UML class diagram, then generate its DDL code. If you want to analyze structure of existing database you can reverse engineer it via JDBC bridge.
The tool is suited for a wide variety of systems including real-time, client/server and distributed n-tier application design.
MagicDraw runs on a wide variety of operating systems, such as Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP, Solaris, OS/2, Linux, HP-UX, AIX, MacOS (X) and everywhere else where Java 1.4 is supported.