ARTiSAN Real-time Studio is a multi-user suite of development tools developed around the UML standard. Using Real-time Studio, design teams can capture software and system designs, automate these captured designs and integrate them into a complete process, in a way that compliments existing development processes.
Real-time Studio coordinates team efforts to quickly define, design, and document efficient real-time systems that meet requirements and which are highly maintainable. Consisting of UML modeling tools with numerous real-time extensions, Real-time Studio enables your team to quickly agree on system functional requirements and system and software architectures — before implementation — resulting in far less re-work and debugging, improved schedule predictability, and reusable real-time software components for future projects.
Using Real-time Studio enables your team to correct design problems before the system is built, uses your design to automatically maintain the code, and provides far better project control.
Enhanced System Validation Functionality
Already an acknowledged leader in providing modeling support for systems engineering and software engineering, ARTiSAN has powerful system validation functionality, so that engineers can:
- Build and simulate advanced state models for system behavior:
- Use events straight from the system architecture model
- Add timers and timed events
- Use drag/drop to populate state triggers, actions and guards
- Verify system response to external and internal events before building
- Automatically generate test harnesses for behavior verification
- Repeatable test execution of models
- Verify ongoing development has not broken functionality
- Build a front-panel simulation using Altia® FacePlate:
- Populate with high-fidelity graphic components from standard libraries
- Build custom components using Altia Design
- Integrate the state model simulation with Altia FacePlate for customer validation:
- Point-and-click bi-directional interface creation
- Operate simulation model from graphic panel controls
- Verify system behavior with end users, marketing, etc.
Flexible Software Design
According to ARTiSAN’s market survey, 27% of engineers surveyed stated that adopting modeling required too much process intrusion or change. This is especially true for the code generation process provided by other object modeling UML tools. Recognizing this, ARTiSAN has added significant flexibility in how engineers use Real-time Studio (RtS) for software engineering and code generation. For example, RtS offers three options to design and implement a class in C++:
- Round-trip Engineering of interfaces — allows an engineer to program in his/her IDE, but keep class structure and interfaces up to date with the class model enabling clear documentation and easy visualization.
- Maintain operation bodies in RtS — allows the user to benefit from the RtS rich-text editor (fonts, colors, bold, etc.). The rich-text editor is model-aware; it contains object-references, not just text. Accessed attributes and operations can simply be dropped into the editor, ensuring correct spelling and maintaining consistency as attribute and operation names change. Impact analysis comes for free, reporting all uses of an attribute and all calls to an operation. User-defined templates can be established for frequently used constructs.
- State models for more complex class behavior, including model-aware rich-text for guards and actions. RtS generates complete operation bodies for state model behavior, and can generate test harnesses automatically. The resulting state model simulation can be animated and has a standard API for integration with external systems.
ARTiSAN’s Real-time Studio’s powerful code synchronizers enable software engineers to generate and reverse engineer C, C++, and Java, keeping source code consistent with the design model. SPARK and Ada are also supported through the ARTiSAN Ada Synchronizer.