IMEC's Revenues Increase by 12%

5/2/2005 - During its General Assembly, IMEC announced that its self-generated revenues have risen with more than 12% in 2004, comprising some 125 million euro. Taking into account the grant from the Government of Flanders, the total budget is now 159 million euro, the highest in 20 years of IMEC history. The inauguration of a new research infrastructure in 2004 was a clear sign that IMEC will remain at the forefront during the era of nanoelectronics.

IMEC's 125 million euro self-generated revenues stand for 78.3% of the total budget of 159 million euro. The remaining 21.7% or 34 million euro is an annual grant from the Government of Flanders. Since its foundation, IMEC was able to sustain an annual increase in revenues. The revenues from contract research were generated through collaboration with local industry (24.14%) as well as with international industry (62.23%), through projects of the European Commission (11.53%), the European Space Agency ESA (3.08%) and the local Government (0.01%).

In recent years, IMEC launched several large research programs, determining the financial success of 2004. An example is the setting up of a centralized research platform around the new 300mm clean room, dealing with the major challenges for the next generations IC technologies. Seven core partners - Infineon, Intel, Matsushita, Philips, Samsung Electronics, STMicroelectronics and Texas Instruments - teamed up with IMEC to join research on process steps, models and devices for the sub-45nm technology node.

Next to this, strategic partnerships were signed with 10 leading equipment suppliers and for immersion lithography the world's largest consortium of more than 30 major players was united. And as a final example, IMEC's multi-mode multimedia (M4) program in which technology platforms are developed for the mobile terminal of the future, welcomed Samsung Electronics as its first core partner, next to others partners (like FreeScale, Infineon and Xilinx), working together with IMEC's team on part of the M4 program.

In its home region of Flanders, IMEC collaborated with 123 Flemish companies, 69 of which were small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). They called upon IMEC to join research projects, training, feasibility studies, process and product innovation, technology transfer or prospecting services. Also, a new spin-off company Gemidis was set up in collaboration with the Ghent University, providing solutions for the integration of liquid-crystal-on-silicon (LCOS) micro-displays in day-to-day applications.

About IMEC
IMEC is a world-leading independent research center in nanoelectronics and nanotechnology. Its research focuses on the next generations of chips and systems, and on the enabling technologies for ambient intelligence. IMEC's research bridges the gap between fundamental research at universities and technology development in industry. Its unique balance of processing and system know-how, intellectual property portfolio, state-of-the-art infrastructure and its strong network of companies, universities and research institutes worldwide, position IMEC as a key partner with which to develop and improve technologies for future systems. IMEC is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and has representatives in the US, China and Japan. Its staff of more than 1300 people includes over 400 industrial residents and guest researchers. In 2004, its revenues were EUR 159 million. Further information on IMEC can be found at

Kapeldreef 75
B- 3001 Leuven, Belgium
Tel +32 16 28 18 80
Fax +32 16 28 16 37

Previous Page | News by Category | News Search

If you found this page useful, bookmark and share it on: