Wind River Introduces Commercial Grade Workbench 2.4 Development Suite
11/8/2005 - Wind River Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:WIND), the global leader in Device Software Optimization (DSO), announced Wind River® Workbench 2.4, featuring new product additions and upgrades to the companyís industry-leading, commercial grade device software development suite. Wind River Workbench is the industryís first Eclipse-based, open-source device software development suite that offers deep capabilities for developers across the entire development process in a single integrated suite. In addition to updated Eclipse 3.1 technology and hardware support, Wind River Workbench 2.4 development suite unveils new unit testing and diagnostic products. By freeing developers from manual testing and time-consuming failure diagnosis, Workbench 2.4 development suite enables developers to elevate their focus to the higher-value features essential for competitive differentiation in todayís rapidly growing device market.
"As the extended enterprise continues to branch out and diversify, testing, identifying and resolving defects have become more grueling than ever. At the same time, the pressure to deliver new features and stay ahead of the market is stronger than ever," said John Fanelli, vice president of product marketing, Wind River. "With Wind River Workbench 2.4, weíve maintained ease of development via one single integrated suite, while providing access to the latest Eclipse 3.1 technology and reducing time spent on manual processes. Wind Riverís development suite continues to be the only way for device developers to cut inefficiencies effectively throughout the development lifecycle."
Wind River Delivers Commercial Grade Testing and Diagnostics
Wind River Workbench is a scalable development suite that increases individual productivity, enables collaboration among hardware and software developers within a project team, and meets diverse development needs across an enterprise. With the release of Wind River Workbench 2.4, the suite introduces two new products:
- Workbench Unit Tester: Integrated tools that allow developers to create and perform unit testing, code integration testing and test coverage analysis in an easy and standardized way. Wind River® Workbench Unit Tester tools increases product quality, decreases time-to- market and reduces support costs through better, faster and increasingly automated testing during the development lifecycle.
- Workbench Diagnostics: The industryís first Eclipse-based diagnostic product incorporating both nonstop dynamic debugging and forensic-style device-level inspection capabilities. Wind River® Workbench Diagnostics tools allow developers to safely and securely apply diagnostics to a live system, which is then enabled to provide a system status report. Workbench Diagnostics increases developer productivity by compressing debug cycles and eliminating unnecessary instrumentation-compile cycles. In addition, in the event of a system failure, Wind River Diagnostics enables developers to effectively execute forensic analysis on a core file and intelligently rewind key system attributes step-by-step prior to the failure.
Eases Testing and Diagnostics Throughout the Entire Development and Device Lifecycle
- Easier device software unit testing: Until today, device software required time-intensive manual testing prior to deployment. Companies expend significant time and resources in unit testing and integration testing of their device software. The new Workbench Unit Tester automates this testing process.
- Sensorpoints for dynamic debugging and rapid root cause analysis during development and testing: After development and testing of each individual unit, device software must then be integrated as a whole, creating additional opportunity for bugs. Workbench Diagnostics also enables rapid isolation of problems and root cause identification during the integration testing process with dynamic code sensors.
- Field-based diagnostics capabilities: After units are individually tested and integrated, software can then be deployed to the device. During the post-development stage of the device lifecycle, additional difficulties in diagnosis arise. As the extended enterprise grows, so does the need for remote device diagnostics. To ensure that errors can still be identified and resolved, even across a diverse array of configurations, Wind River Workbench Diagnostics resides directly on the device, allowing it to be accessed once it is in the field.
Workbench 2.4 Product Suite Provides Expanded Hardware Support and Eclipse Technology
- Workbench 2.4 product suite updated to Eclipse 3.1: The entire Workbench development suite has been updated to include the latest Eclipse-based technology, including the Eclipse 3.1 software developer kit (SDK).
- Wind River platform optimizations: The Workbench 2.4 development suite is tightly integrated with Wind Riverís VxWorks 6.2 (see todayís related release) and Linux platforms, providing an unparalleled Device Software Optimization development environment. Key platform optimizations include:
- Development tool support of the VxWorks 6 platform real-time processes and shared libraries on new processor architectures
- Support for newly added VxWorks platform scalability features
- New TIPC-based, distributed debugging capability with the VxWorks 6 platform
- Kernel mode debugging, ScopeTools and System Viewer support for Wind River Linux platforms on MIPS and ARM
- Linux platform build support for Windows and Solaris hosts
- Wind River Workbench OCD Edition enhancements: Significant investment continues to be made in on-chip debugging support within Workbench. Workbench OCD Edition is still OS-agnostic with the ability to debug any Linux kernel.
- Workbench 2.4 development suite adds VxWorks 5.5 platform support to the Wind River® Workbench OCD Edition solution
- New processor architecture support for ARM 9, ColdFire and XScale
- Wind River Probe is supported on Linux host environments
- Expanded Linux kernel mode and kernel module debugging capabilities across a broader range of processors
- New Hardware Support: Workbench 2.4 includes wide coverage of architectures and processors on VxWorks-, Linux- and ThreadX-based devices. Developers benefit from significant breadth of silicon-supported end-to-end coverage of the Wind River platform (operating system and tools) on the marketís leading processors. Organizations can standardize on Workbench in a heterogeneous architecture-based device manufacturer. Furthermore, Wind Riverís comprehensive silicon portfolio can be leveraged by developers during the entire lifecycle, from hardware bring-up through OCD tools to application development. Major hardware-related enhancements will include support for Coldfire architecture, new ARM and MIPS cores and market-leading processors from Freescale, Intel and other semiconductor vendors.
The Wind River Workbench 2.4 suite of products is available today in Early Access for select customers and will be generally available in late November 2005. Workbench Unit Tester and Workbench Diagnostics will be generally available for use with VxWorks in late November 2005. To learn more about Wind River Workbench, please visit: www.windriver.com/products/development_tools/ide/wind_river_workbench
About Wind River
Wind River is the global leader in device software optimization (DSO). Wind River enables companies to develop and run device software faster, better, at lower cost and more reliably. Wind River platforms are pre-integrated, fully standardized enterprise-wide development solutions. They reduce effort, cost and risk and optimize quality and reliability at all phases of the device software development process from concept to deployed product.
Founded in 1981, Wind River is headquartered in Alameda, California, with operations worldwide. To learn more, call 1-800-872-4977.
The Wind River logo is a trademark of Wind River Systems, Inc., and Wind River and VxWorks are registered trademarks of Wind River Systems, Inc.
Previous Page | News by Category | News Search
If you found this page useful, bookmark and share it on: