Opportunities Exist for Smart Fabrics and Interactive Textiles
2/24/2004 - High rates of consumption for Smart Fabrics/Interactive Textiles (SFIT) are expected in several areas within the commercial/industrial sector:
- Biophysical monitoring
- Sense & monitor application will not be limited to automotive (airbag) use, but will be implemented elsewhere also: motion, gas, heat, acoustic arrays in a number of commercial and industrial-use applications
- Phase change in durable apparel - commercial linens, medical barrier protection - providing biocidal and permeability functions
VDCís Projections Lean More Toward the Conservative Side for Three Reasons:
- The economy has to turn around and grow rapidly, allowing for spending up, on part of both the supplier and demand side of the market.
- A number of developers are banking on rapid adoption universally, whereas adoption is expected to be rapid only in niche markets and slow in the big-ticket areas where potential quantities are great (industrial, professional, mass apparel).
- Cooperation is vital, especially in the areas of cost and technology sharing. Issues of intellectual property protection and regional trade issues in the textile industry are currently volatile and unresolved.
Founded in 1971, VDC is a technology market research and consulting firm that specializes in industrial and commercial electronics, computing, communications, software and power systems markets.
Previous Page | News by Category | News Search
If you found this page useful, bookmark and share it on: